Thursday, April 26, 2012

What's a solid AMD video card manufacturing company?

I'm looking to buy a AMD Radeon 6950, 6970 that's 10.4 inches in length or lower.



I recently purchased a Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 addition to replace my Crossfire setup of HIS Radeon HD 5770 cards.



The card ran great for a day, and then I noticed artifact tearing and constant crashing to blue screen was an immediate sign the card was bad. But I gave it the benefit of the doubt, went to safe mode, disabled the card, uninstalled the old AMd drivers, swiped the registry for AMD video clean and reinstalled drivers. Still same artifacts and crashing. So I turned off PC, reseated the card, and still same issues.



I had to RMA the card, and unfortunately Newegg doesn't have it in stock anymore (I figured these cards were good because they're out of STOCK everywhere.) so it's likely by the time it;'s finished processing I'll get my refund.



I'm looking to spend anywhere from 280-360 dollars. I need some good solid suggestions and please omit HIS and Sapphire. I don't know enough about Sapphire honestly, but I already got a band impression - and with all my experience with HIS those cards run blazing hot.|||lol thats what u get for buying amd, change to nvidia. buy gtx 570 its about 300-350$ and beats the hd6970|||You didn't' check the compatibility of the processor. Before you buy anything computer-related, you have to check the compatibility.

The processor I believe is for a different computer model, and the drivers are totally different as well.|||I have an XFX Radeon HD 6950, and it has worked flawlessly from day 1. Ive had it running everyday - all day - for about 6 months now.



Great card, and good company.



That's ridiculous about Nvida being better than AMD. They both have bad cards from time to time. It just happens.|||I've owned a couple Asus Radeon cards in the past and those gave me no problems at all. If you watch some videos on what's on the PCB of the Asus triple slot Direct CU2 cards, you will see that Asus goes overboard with the VRM and uses some ot the best parts money can buy.



MSI does a good job with over-engineering their Twin-Frozer and Hawk cards. MSI does a top notch job with the power design that's on their high-end cards. In my experience, Asus has better customer support so I would go with one of their cards before I went with a MSI.



Normally Sapphire is pretty good but they can go from one extreme to another. They will make some cards out of cheap parts. Their Vapor-X Toxic cards are made a little bit better than a standard clocked card with one of their In-House design coolers.



XFX is suppose to be another good manufacturer of AMD Radeon cards.



I don't know HIS all that well but I've never heard anything bad about them. I would stay away from Gigabyte! Gigabyte will slap a fancy cooler on a cheaply made card.



In some games the performance of the X-Fire 5770 setup will nip at the heels of a Single 6950. I would either wait for the 7900 series of get a 6970. Don't count on much with the 7900 series. The 7950 will have about the same graphics power of a GTX 580 and it will cost $450. It seems to me the 7900 series will be prices accoringly with what already on the market... minus the GTX 590 and 6990.|||PowerColor is ranked pretty high in performance tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment