Thursday, April 26, 2012

Can I run 4 computer monitors on a pair of CrossFire'd AMD video cards?

OK... I know that if you crossfire a couple AMD vid cards, you DEFINIETLY can use the power of both cards to make, in a sense, one super video card. I know that much is true about CrossFire'd cards. What I don't know is that if you CrossFire 2 cards, can you hook up 4 monitors to them and have one gigantic extended desktop? I can't seem to find any documentation anywhere on this, all though I've heard through the grape vine that this is possible.



Can someone help me out with some links to show #1, if you can have a 4 monitor display set up using CrossFire, and #2, how you configure that with in the Catalyst software....?



Thanks.|||Yes.you can run 4 computer monitors on a pair of CrossFire'd AMD video cards.i agree the 8800 likes the juice, and the 4830 outperforms, if you start a argument you better have some good evidence backing you. now can we stop this whole thread about stupid stuff and just enjoy a new card on the market.It's you guys who are acting like some stupids and assholes and at least in the case of btrunr I know he will regret those comments in the future when he calms down.



I know for sure btrunr knows, because I have said that to him in more than one post (if he didn't forget about it), that I bought this 8800gt for 203 euros when at that time 8800GT's were selling for 250 minimum and other 8800 GT OC cards with similar clocks were near 300. That was 1,5 weeks after it was released so you will remember those prices if you make memory. The HD3870 was selling for 225 the cheapest and 240 the most expensive.



Now we get back to power consumption (http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/S...D… and we can see that the card consumes 15 watts more. 15 not 100. I think there is a difference, but you know, they didn't teach me a lot of maths in the fanboy academy... (sarcasm if you didn't catch it). So if 100w difference would suppose 100 euros per year in electricity in my case, guess what? 15w suposes 15 euros and the 8800GT is significantly faster than the HD3870 so end of story.|||I think that you can easily extend the desktop over 4 computer monitors,

if you have 4 video cards, or 2 video cards with two outputs.

For example, under windows, in the control panel of the video settings,

you can first let each card identify its monitor(s) and then you can

drag around the monitors shapes to organize them spatially as you like them.



What it is more doubtful, is if you could use it in games, where the 3D acceleration

is active. In that case I fear that the crossfire cannot work correctly across different

monitors managed by different video cards.|||To tell you the truth, I have never thought about it, but I believe the answer is no. When you run SLI or Crossfire usually you only have access to one card's outputs. For example, you can only use 2 out of 4 cards for video output in 4-way SLI.



I would assume the same for Crossfire. =/



Sorry.|||http://sites.amd.com/us/underground/prod…



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzGtxlaPQ…|||I have 2 3870's in crossfire.



I haven't tried 4 monitors but I did have 2 hooked up at one time a while back. Don't remember the configuration on them but I'm thinking that I had one monitor hooked to each card.



I opened CCC and looked at the display manager it is shows blocks for monitors numbered 1, 2, 3, 4. I can't say for sure how this works but I would assume that it would stretch the desktop across all 4.



I do know that crossfire had to be disabled for both monitors to work when I had that set up. Not sure why but it was a popup I got on CCC when setting up both monitors.|||No you can't, and here is why.

Crossfire'd GPU's split the work of one screen (Or two) in blocks. Imagine a checkers board. All the white boxes are controlled by GPU1 while all the black are controlled by GPU2. Even with two monitors the operation is the same. (Just picture two checkers boards side by side). In order to hook up more then 2 monitors, you will need special hardware and software to handle the operation. How ever having crossfire'd GPU's will help your computer pump out enough power to cover the multiple monitors.



Your hardware options are as follow:

Multiple GPU's. If you have Two non-crossfire'd GPU's that both have two Out port then you can do this. Or you can purchase one PCI card that was created for a large amount of monitors (Over 3 up to 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment